Monday, June 29, 2009

Packing

Well, I am back at Camp Funston at Fort Riley. The I-stop was great!!! I spent a week at Myrtle Beach in a condo on the 12th floor overlooking the Atlantic. Diane and I took in a couple of shows but mostly relaxed for a week. We then drove to Maine and completed many projects around the house that needed to get done. The deck and front porch got stained on the only 3 days of sunshine we had. I reclaimed some of the yard back with a chainsaw, bush hog, chipper and lots of sweat.

I am only here at Funston for less than 48 hours. Today was mostly little events like drawing our weapons out of the armory, H1N1 (Swine Flu) screening and having our ID cards swiped at the deployment center. We also had to finish packing. Our marching orders are everything in 4 seabags, a rucksack and a carry on. We are flying commercial tomorrow to Baltimore after a 2 hour bus ride to Kansas City International Airport. We have to play the typical TSA rules because we are flying commercial. We are going to Afghanistan with weapons, but we can't carry on on liquids or knives. Silly isn't it....We will spend 8 to 10 hours in Baltimore inbetween flights because we have to get all our gear from the commercial terminal and take it to the military terminal. I guess Baltimore Airport will make a little money off of us as we will all have to rent those little carts to haul 4 seabags, a ruck, carryon and weapons cases. In all the packing, I have about 3/4's of a seabag of personal gear. Everything else was issued and we have to take it with us.

After this post, I don't know when I will have internet access again to update the blog. I should be in Kuwait in the next few days depending on flights, delays and time shifts forward. All I know for now is that we are leaving Tuesday morning from Fort Riley, never to return to Kansas.....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan, The condo sounds great right now! We are nearing our 1/2 way point on 15 JUL, it's weird that you are just starting. If you are ever near Kandahar stop by Role 3 to say hello. Take care and have a safe trip.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete